Saturday, August 6, 2011

Lesson 6: She Will Survive

I decided this morning that I would brave the crowd and go out for a little tax free shopping. Julia and Tim stayed home and I enjoyed a day out alone. After I got home and showed Tim all of the great deals I got (and how much money I saved...yeah right), he began to tell me about his day with JuJu. Needless to say, there were some pretty funny stories :)

Apparently she learned how to open the DVD player while I was gone.

Tim was on the couch watching TV and looked down and she had a DVD in her hand, waving it in the air. He took the DVD away, popped her on the hand, moved her away from the DVD player, and sat back down on the couch. Just about the time he sat down, she was right back where she started with a DVD in her hand, waving it in the air. So as you have probably already guessed, Tim took the DVD away...again, popped her harder on the hand, moved her away from the DVD player, and sat back down on the couch. To save from having to go through all of those grueling steps again...the whole thing happened for the 3rd time. The only step that changed was the popping part...he spanked her harder the 3rd time, which led to a dramatic display of crying and grabbing onto his leg. I am not really sure where she got all of that drama from? So strange...

Now I know person #1 would tell me that a child should only be spanked one time and that should do the trick...and person #2 would say children shouldn't be spanked at all. So I would say to person #1...you must have never had to deal with any children during your life...and to person #2...well...keep reading :)

Proverbs 23:13-15 reads, and I quote, from The Message,
" Don't be afraid to correct your young ones; a spanking won't kill them (emphasis mine).
A good spanking, in fact, might save them from something worse than death.
My child if you become wise, I'll be one happy parent."

Wow! So here is my take on this teaching from Proverbs...found in the parentheses...
"Don't be afraid to correct your young ones (even if you have to do it 50 million times in a day),
A spanking won't kill them (even if they do act like you just knocked their leg off).
A good spanking (with a belt, hand, or switch),
Might save them from something worse than death (which means I AM doing the right thing).
My child if you become wise (Julia Anne, if you get anything at all out of my "hit and miss" parenting),
I'll be one happy parent (it will be a miracle)!"

Oh, and just so you know the happy ending...she survived.

Holding my deal of the day...at least she is not touching the DVD player.

1 comment:

Thankfully Blessed said...

Love this...probably because the "drama" somehow got into Emma as well...so funny...i have no idea where she gets it...hehe....Loving your life lessons....because i totally get them and experience them DAILY!!!!