Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Lesson 7: Still Thankful

I am the type that always has to say "this time last year I was..." or "this time next week I will be...". I generally find myself comparing times past to times present, or wondering how things will be in the future. Those times of contemplating never really do me any good since I struggle with being a "glass half empty" kind of person some of the time.

So in this case today it was "this time next week...I will be starting back to work." 

Sad to say I spent a lot of my day thinking about going back to work and how I would sorely miss my sweet time with Julia. All throughout the day my mind would drift away and I found myself asking the same nagging questions. You know those questions that pop in your mind when something like work creeps back into your life again..."will she be ok without me?"..."how will this transition affect her?"..."will I be ok???"!

And then I felt a little tug on my leg. And I looked down and saw six shiny, white teeth behind that little grin, and two arms reaching up my way. It didn't take long to get over being upset. She helps me do that a lot.

We have a little song that Tim and I sing to her everyday that totally puts today into perspective...

"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine.
You make me happy when skies are gray.
You'll never know dear, how much I love you.
Please don't take my sunshine away."

What can I say? I have a gray sky every once in a while. But in the midst of being sad, or worried about leaving her, there is so much to be thankful for. I want to learn to focus on what is important. God, in His mercy, has given me too many blessings. It is up to me to decide that my glass is full.

Lots to be thankful for.





No comments: